PPG Industries’ (NYSE:PPG) board of directors ranks first among the boards of more than 600 U.S. public companies, according to a study of governance capacity that was released today by JamesDruryPartners. The third annual "The Weight of America’s Boards" study scored PPG’s board highest for the makeup of its directors in terms of business accomplishments, leadership roles served with companies and the relative value of their experience. PPG’s board is one of only two company boards to have ranked among the top 10 in all three of the annual studies published by JamesDruryPartners. “PPG is proud that its board of directors has been recognized as having the highest overall governance capacity,” said Charles E. Bunch, PPG chairman and chief executive officer. “The board’s collective business expertise and acumen plays a fundamental role in overseeing PPG’s management performance, safeguarding the long-term health of its business and representing the interests of shareholders.” "The Weight of America’s Boards" study examines the boards of the largest U.S. public companies as measured by revenue and by market cap. The report was established to offer an objective view of the governance capacity of the largest U.S. corporations, based on the premise that the quality of board directors’ collective business acumen provides the primary measurable factor indicating a board’s capacity to govern well. The companies included in the study range in revenue from $4.2 billion to $486 billion, and in market cap from $5.4 billion to $536 billion. The PPG Board of Directors is comprised of the following:
- Charles E. Bunch, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, PPG Industries, Inc.
- Stephen F. Angel, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Praxair, Incorporated
- James G. Berges, Partner, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, LLC and Retired President, Emerson Electric Company
- John V. Faraci, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, International Paper Company
- Hugh Grant, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Monsanto Company
- Victoria F. Haynes, Retired Chief Executive Officer, RTI International
- Michele J. Hooper, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Directors’ Council
- Robert Mehrabian, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Teledyne Technologies Incorporated
- Martin H. Richenhagen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, AGCO Corporation
- Robert Ripp, Chairman of Lightpath Technologies and Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, AMP Incorporated
- Thomas J. Usher, Non-executive Chairman of the Board, Marathon Petroleum Corporation
- David R. Whitwam, Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Whirlpool Corporation
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.(TM)PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in nearly 70 countries around the world. Sales in 2012 were $15.2 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com and follow @PPGIndustries on Twitter. Bringing innovation to the surface is a trademark of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.