Shareholders of Atlantic Power Corp (AT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 10.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2014 covered call at the $5 strike and collect the premium based on the 10 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 17% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $5 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AT shares would have to climb 32.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 35.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Atlantic Power Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for AT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 10.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing AT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $5 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2014 covered call at the $5 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $5. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Atlantic Power Corp (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $3.78) to be 59%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the AT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
Here's Why Apple's TV+ Could Be a Winner -- It's Playing the Long Game
Apple's aggressive $4.99 price point and one-year free trial mean that TV+ is virtually guaranteed to be in the streaming rotation for many cord-cutters in the short-term, and buys it time to iterate in the long term.
Happy Tea CEO: From Nothing to Running a Million Dollar Company
Michael Gonzalez started his Fit Tea empire with $10,000 and turned that into $100 million in revenue.
Facebook Says It's Suspended 'Tens of Thousands' of Apps Following Investigation
Facebook says it has identified thousands of problematic apps and developers following an investigation in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal last year.
Tesla Board Must Face Trial to Defend Huge Elon Musk Pay Deal: Report
Judge rules Elon Musk held sway over the company's compensation committee in designing package that could balloon to $70 billion.