Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Solar Capital (NASDAQ: SLRC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.20%. Solar Capital Ltd. is a business development company specializing in investments in leveraged middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.71. The average volume for Solar Capital has been 233,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Solar Capital has a market cap of $989.5 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 6.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Solar Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 65.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $30.24 million to $10.57 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Solar Capital Ratings Report.
- GAIN's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 62.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 179.43% to $33.90 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 179.43%, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 269.14%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLADSTONE INVESTMENT CORP/DE reported lower earnings of $0.63 versus $0.99 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.71 versus $0.63).
- You can view the full Gladstone Investment Corporation Ratings Report.
- CRT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 11.22, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. CRT has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CRT's net profit margin of 96.06% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 19.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $3.82 million to $3.10 million.
- CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST's earnings per share declined by 18.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, CROSS TIMBERS ROYALTY TRUST reported lower earnings of $2.48 versus $2.99 in the prior year.
- You can view the full Cross Timbers Royalty Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 9.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- This stock has managed to decline in share value by 0.84% over the past twelve months. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry, implying reduced upside potential.
- UMH PROPERTIES INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, UMH PROPERTIES INC reported lower earnings of $0.11 versus $0.14 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 36.4% in earnings ($0.07 versus $0.11).
- The gross profit margin for UMH PROPERTIES INC is rather low; currently it is at 16.46%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 4.48% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.06 million or 108.80% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full UMH Properties Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.