Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Sarepta Therapeutics ( SRPT) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Sarepta Therapeutics as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SRPT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $93.5 million.
- SRPT has traded 10.3 million shares today.
- SRPT is down 4.1% today.
- SRPT was up 11.8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SRPT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SRPT NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SRPT: Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the discovery and development of RNA-based therapeutics for the treatment of rare and infectious diseases. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Sarepta Therapeutics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Sarepta Therapeutics has been 1.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Sarepta has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.59 and a short float of 33.1% with 1.53 days to cover. Shares are up 41.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Sarepta Therapeutics as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 337.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $8.04 million to -$19.05 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, SAREPTA THERAPEUTICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$12.00 million or 111.22% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- SAREPTA THERAPEUTICS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SAREPTA THERAPEUTICS INC reported poor results of -$4.95 versus -$0.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$3.14 versus -$4.95).
- SRPT, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 73.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Sarepta Therapeutics Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.