Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Salix Pharmaceuticals ( SLXP) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Salix Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SLXP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $146.2 million.
- SLXP has traded 1.1 million shares today.
- SLXP is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SLXP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SLXP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SLXP: Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. acquires, develops, and commercializes prescription drugs and medical devices used in the treatment of various gastrointestinal diseases in the United States. SLXP has a PE ratio of 50.7. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Salix Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold. The average volume for Salix Pharmaceuticals has been 749,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Salix has a market cap of $5.4 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 0.97 and a short float of 5.6% with 1.77 days to cover. Shares are up 110.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Salix Pharmaceuticals as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 28.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 186.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $16.54 million to $47.33 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 173.07% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 87.80% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS LTD reported lower earnings of $1.01 versus $1.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.22 versus $1.01).
- You can view the full Salix Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.