YieldBoost BAH From 2.3% To 11.4% Using Options

Shareholders of Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp. (BAH) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2014 covered call at the $19 strike and collect the premium based on the 95 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $19 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BAH shares would have to advance 8.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks with Recent Secondaries »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for BAH below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.

BAH+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing BAH's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $19 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2014 covered call at the $19 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $19. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corp. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.40) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BAH Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 815,081 contracts, with call volume at 1.37M, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Dow Gets Swept Into Nasty Reversal Even as Nasdaq Posts New Record

Dow Gets Swept Into Nasty Reversal Even as Nasdaq Posts New Record

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on Fed Rate Hikes, Oil Prices and Starbucks Worries

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on Fed Rate Hikes, Oil Prices and Starbucks Worries

What Will GM Do With Cruise -- and Is Its Stock Worth $55?

What Will GM Do With Cruise -- and Is Its Stock Worth $55?

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes