Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Kirby ( KEX) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Kirby as such a stock due to the following factors:
- KEX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $21.5 million.
- KEX has traded 214,640 shares today.
- KEX is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in KEX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for KEX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on KEX: Kirby Corporation, through its subsidiaries, provides marine transportation and diesel engine services primarily in the United States. Its Marine Transportation segment provides transportation services for the inland and coastal markets. KEX has a PE ratio of 21.2. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Kirby a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Kirby has been 288,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. The stock has a beta of 1.05 and a short float of 7.4% with 16.92 days to cover. Shares are up 48.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Kirby as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, expanding profit margins, compelling growth in net income and solid stock price performance. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- KIRBY CORP has improved earnings per share by 27.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, KIRBY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.74 versus $3.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.25 versus $3.74).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- 36.83% is the gross profit margin for KIRBY CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.54% is above that of the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Marine industry average. The net income increased by 30.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $53.06 million to $69.12 million.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 27.36% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 57.23% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Kirby Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.