How To YieldBoost WWE From 3.7% To 9% Using Options

Shareholders of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (WWE) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2014 covered call at the $15 strike and collect the premium based on the 30 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $15 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WWE shares would have to climb 14.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for WWE below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.7% annualized dividend yield.

WWE+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing WWE's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $15 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2014 covered call at the $15 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $15. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $13.04) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the WWE Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 484,093 contracts, with call volume at 918,291, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

Amazon Wants to Use Your Car as a Mobile Warehouse - Here's What That Could Mean

Amazon Wants to Use Your Car as a Mobile Warehouse - Here's What That Could Mean

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

TheStreet Is About to Hold the BEST Institutional Investor Conference of 2018

TheStreet Is About to Hold the BEST Institutional Investor Conference of 2018

Twitter's Turnaround Continues but Investors Don't Seem Entirely Convinced

Twitter's Turnaround Continues but Investors Don't Seem Entirely Convinced