(NYSE:GE) — GE’s most popular refrigerator water filter, MWF, now removes trace amounts of five pharmaceuticals including the active ingredients in antidepressants and birth control pills from drinking water and ice. * Almost two in 10 Americans’ drinking water tested positive for pharmaceuticals according to an Associated Press Survey. 1. That’s a glass-half-empty statistic for a lot of people.
- Ibuprofen: used for pain relief, fever reduction and to reduce swelling
- Atenolol: treats high blood pressure
- Fluoxetine: prescribed for depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and bulimia
- Progesterone: can be found in birth control pills or used as a fertility treatment
- Trimethoprim: an antibiotic that treats urinary tract infections