Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Emerald Oil ( EOX) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Emerald Oil as such a stock due to the following factors:
- EOX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $16.8 million.
- EOX has traded 339,482 shares today.
- EOX is up 3.1% today.
- EOX was down 5.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EOX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EOX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on EOX: Emerald Oil, Inc. engages in the exploration and production of oil and gas in the United States. The company focuses on the development of operated wells in the Williston Basin in North Dakota and Montana, targeting the Bakken and Three Forks shale oil formations. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Emerald Oil a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Emerald Oil has been 1.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Emerald Oil has a market cap of $568.1 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.38 and a short float of 9.7% with 1.82 days to cover. Shares are up 66% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Emerald Oil as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, EMERALD OIL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $1.84 million or 21.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, EMERALD OIL INC has marginally lower results.
- EMERALD OIL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EMERALD OIL INC reported poor results of -$2.99 versus -$0.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.46 versus -$2.99).
- The gross profit margin for EMERALD OIL INC is currently very high, coming in at 76.48%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -15.32% is in-line with the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 75.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$6.96 million to -$1.72 million.
- You can view the full Emerald Oil Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.