- In January 2012, Round Rock filed lawsuits against a number of companies – including some of Motorola Solutions’ customers – alleging that their RFID solutions infringed Round Rock’s RFID patents.
- This litigation threatened to slow the adoption of RFID solutions, which can vastly improve inventory and asset management process efficiency and drive substantial business productivity improvements.
- In March 2012, Motorola Solutions filed its own lawsuit challenging the Round Rock patents.
- Now, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have reached a business resolution outside of the litigation process that enables customers to deploy RFID systems free of the Round Rock patent assertions.
- The dual participation of Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC ensures that the market has both RFID tag and RFID reader vendor options that together are free from Round Rock patent assertions.
- By entering into this arrangement with Round Rock, Motorola Solutions and SMARTRAC have eliminated some uncertainly that threatened to slow RFID adoption and market growth.
- Because customers’ interests and the vitality of the RFID industry are paramount, this licensing arrangement with Round Rock is non-exclusive, allowing other RFID reader and tag providers the opportunity to reach similar resolutions thereby making a host of options available to customers.
Enu Waktola, vice president, global business development, New Market Segments, SMARTRAC“With this agreement, Motorola and SMARTRAC offer our joint customers a clear path to RFID solution deployment and expansion free of Round Rock patent assertions. Our agreement paves the way for the entire industry to resolve the Round Rock litigations for our customers, providing them the peace of mind they need to adopt RFID technology for its intended benefits – without the distractions caused by the litigations.” SUPPORTING RESOURCES Website: Motorola Solutions RFID Solutions Portal: Motorola Solutions Next Generation Enterprise Mobility About Motorola Solutions Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed. About SMARTRAC: SMARTRAC is the leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of RFID and NFC transponders and inlays. The company produces both ready-made and customized transponders and inlays used in access control, animal identification, automated fare collection, border control, RFID-based car immobilizers, contactless payment cards, electronic product identification, industry, libraries and media management, laundry, logistics, mobile and smart media, public transport, retail, and many more. SMARTRAC has its registered headquarters in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The company maintains a global research and development, production, and sales network. For more information, visit www.smartrac-group.com and follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/SMARTRAC_NV. MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.