One Put, One Call Option To Know About For DuPont (DD)

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is DuPont (DD). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2015 expiration for DD.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $35 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 30 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 0.9% return against the $35 commitment, or a 0.7% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost DD Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to DD's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless DuPont sees its shares decline 43.2% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $34.70 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 30 cents from $35), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 0.7% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2015 expiration, for shareholders of DuPont ( DD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.9% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $70 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.72 bid, annualizes to an additional 2.3% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $70 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DD shares would have to climb 13.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost DD Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for DuPont, highlighting in green where the $35 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $70 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for DuPont (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $61.52) to be 16%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 671,800 contracts, with call volume at 1.35M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Danica Patrick's Final Race at 2018 Indianapolis 500: What She Thinks About Cars

Danica Patrick's Final Race at 2018 Indianapolis 500: What She Thinks About Cars

Why The FANG Stocks' Dominance May Not Be So Bad For The Market

Why The FANG Stocks' Dominance May Not Be So Bad For The Market

At End of May, Investors Signalling They May Stay Away

At End of May, Investors Signalling They May Stay Away

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Neel Kashkari: The Heart of Our Financial System Is More Radioactive Than Ever

Neel Kashkari: The Heart of Our Financial System Is More Radioactive Than Ever