Interesting January 2015 Stock Options For JPMorgan Chase

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is JPMorgan Chase (JPM). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2015 expiration for JPM.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $30 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 47 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.6% return against the $30 commitment, or a 1.3% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost JPM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to JPM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless JPMorgan Chase sees its shares decline 43.3% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $29.53 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 47 cents from $30), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 1.3% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2015 expiration, for shareholders of JPMorgan Chase ( JPM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.9% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $62.50 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.51 bid, annualizes to an additional 2.3% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $62.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but JPM shares would have to advance 18.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 21.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost JPM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for JPMorgan Chase & Co., highlighting in green where the $30 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $62.50 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for JPMorgan Chase & Co. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $52.88) to be 20%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 671,800 contracts, with call volume at 1.35M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Dow Gets Swept Into Nasty Reversal Even as Nasdaq Posts New Record

Dow Gets Swept Into Nasty Reversal Even as Nasdaq Posts New Record

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on Fed Rate Hikes, Oil Prices and Starbucks Worries

REPLAY: Jim Cramer on Fed Rate Hikes, Oil Prices and Starbucks Worries

What Will GM Do With Cruise -- and Is Its Stock Worth $55?

What Will GM Do With Cruise -- and Is Its Stock Worth $55?

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

3 Must Reads on the Market From TheStreet's Top Columnists

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes

This Should Be Your Retirement Savings Plan When the Stock Market Crashes