David Warshawsky, the CEO of BioTime’s subsidiary LifeMap Sciences, Inc., will provide an update on LifeMap’s business. He will report on the Integrated Biomedical Knowledgebase and discovery platform for biomedical research, including GeneCards ®, LifeMap Discovery™ and MalaCards.Francois Binette, Ph.D., the Vice President of Research and Business Development of BioTime’s subsidiary OrthoCyte Corporation, will describe the discovery effort at OrthoCyte focusing on the development of novel regenerative therapeutics for various orthopedic diseases and injuries. Dr. Binette will also describe some of the promising results obtained with the collaboration of University of California San Diego Prof. Koichi Masuda M.D., Director of Skeletal Translational Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, using progenitor OTX-05,-07,-09 in an ex vivo model for degenerative disc disease, the principal cause of chronic back pain. Chronic back pain is one of the largest health economics burden in modern societies since there are no treatment or cure for a condition that affects more than 85% of the population in their lifetime. David Larocca, Ph.D., the recently appointed vice president of research and development of BioTime’s subsidiary ReCyte Therapeutics, Inc., will provide an update on the development of vascular progenitor cells for the treatment of heart disease. About BioTime, Inc. BioTime is a biotechnology company engaged in research and product development in the field of regenerative medicine. Regenerative medicine refers to therapies based on stem cell technology that are designed to rebuild cell and tissue function lost due to degenerative disease or injury. BioTime’s focus is on pluripotent stem cell technology based on human embryonic stem (“hES”) cells and induced pluripotent stem (“iPS”) cells. hES and iPS cells provide a means of manufacturing every cell type in the human body and therefore show considerable promise for the development of a number of new therapeutic products. BioTime’s therapeutic and research products include a wide array of proprietary PureStem™ progenitors, HyStem ® hydrogels, culture media, and differentiation kits. BioTime is developing Renevia™ (a HyStem ® product) as a biocompatible, implantable hyaluronan and collagen-based matrix for cell delivery in human clinical applications. In addition, BioTime has developed Hextend ® , a blood plasma volume expander for use in surgery, emergency trauma treatment and other applications. Hextend ® is manufactured and distributed in the U.S. by Hospira, Inc. and in South Korea by CJ CheilJedang Corporation under exclusive licensing agreements. BioTime is also developing stem cell and other products for research, therapeutic, and diagnostic use through its subsidiaries:
- OncoCyte Corporation is developing products and technologies to diagnose and treat cancer.
- ES Cell International Pte Ltd., a Singapore private limited company, develops hES products for research use.
- BioTime Asia, Limited, a Hong Kong company, may offer and sell products for research use for BioTime’s ESI BIO Division.
- OrthoCyte Corporation is developing therapies to treat orthopedic disorders, diseases and injuries.
- ReCyte Therapeutics, Inc. is developing therapies to treat a variety of blood and lymphatic vascular disorders, as well as products for research using iPS and other cell reprogramming technology.
- Cell Cure Neurosciences Ltd. is an Israel-based biotechnology company focused on developing stem cell-based therapies for retinal and neurological degenerative diseases. Its lead product is OpRegen ® for the treatment of macular degeneration.
- LifeMap Sciences, Inc. markets, sells and distributes GeneCards ® , the leading human gene database, as part of an integrated database suite that also includes the LifeMap Discovery™ database of embryonic development, stem cell research and regenerative medicine, and MalaCards, the human disease database.
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a new subsidiary that recently acquired the stem cell assets of Geron Corporation, including patents and other intellectual property, biological materials, reagents and equipment for the development of new therapeutic products for regenerative medicine.
To receive ongoing BioTime corporate communications, please click on the following link to join our email alert list: http://news.biotimeinc.com