As part of Rackspace Data Services, a collection of SQL and NoSQL data offerings available as a service, Rackspace® Hosting (NYSE: RAX), the open cloud company, is announcing the availability of the Hortonworks Data Platform powered by Apache Hadoop in both the managed hosting environment and the Rackspace public cloud. Customers can choose the right environment to host their Big Data solutions, and take advantage of a hybrid cloud approach to achieve the best overall application performance. Rackspace is also offering managed services around the Big Data solution to ease the operational burden for customers. “The volume of data being processed in businesses today is astounding. Companies need help analysing and extracting value from this vast amount of information, as Big Data solutions are difficult to deploy and harder to maintain,” said John Engates, CTO of Rackspace. “With Rackspace’s Managed and Cloud Big Data Platform offerings, we’re providing an open, hybrid Big Data solution for dedicated and cloud instances. Combining this technological expertise with enhanced support from Hortonworks allows us to bring a best-in-class Big Data solution to market.” Rackspace Managed Big Data offering provides an optimized Big Data platform powered by Apache Hadoop that is aimed at reducing operational burden, while providing open source application integration. Specific benefits include:
- Design an optimal Big Data configuration: Offers customized configurations to address specific data processing requirements such as high compute, high storage, and balanced workloads. Multiple supported storage devices, reference architectures and flexible network design allow customers to design environments for their specific use case.
- Reduces Operational Burden: Reduces the amount of time required to deploy and maintain data processing environments. This solution allows customers to leverage Fanatical Support® and the deep expertise of Rackspace and Hortonworks to help with patching, cluster management, job execution and standard maintenance.
- Integrates with Custom Applications: Allows customers to leverage the full range of tools in the Apache Hadoop ecosystem to integrate with business intelligence or data applications with no additional re-tooling.
The Rackspace Cloud Big Data Platform features an industry leading platform powered by Apache Hadoop distribution that customers can deploy and scale rapidly in the cloud with simple pricing and no upfront investment. This provides an open service model powered by Apache Hadoop that will help foster a large ecosystem of application vendors. The solution offers:
- Rapid Deployment/Low Operational Burden – Enables customers to provision a fully featured environment powered by Apache Hadoop and scale it elastically in minutes.
- Simple Pricing and Cost Effective Infrastructure - Offers a cost effective platform with a simple pricing model to fit a majority of Big Data workloads without any hidden costs.
- A Rich Partner Ecosystem - Delivers the first truly open cloud platform powered by Apache Hadoop, which will allow a broad ecosystem of partners and applications to integrate with no additional development.
For more information on Rackspace's Managed and Cloud Big Data Platform solutions, visit: http://www.rackspace.com/bigdata.About Rackspace Rackspace® (NYSE: RAX) is the open cloud company and founder of OpenStack, the standard open-source operating system for cloud computing. Headquartered in San Antonio, Rackspace delivers its renowned Fanatical Support® to more than 200,000 business customers, from data centers on four continents. Rackspace is a leading provider of hybrid clouds, which enable businesses to run their workloads where they run most effectively — whether on the public cloud, a private cloud, dedicated servers, or a combination of these platforms. Rackspace has been recognized by Bloomberg BusinessWeek as a Top 100 Performing Technology Company, and is featured on Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For. For more information, visit www.rackspace.com Rackspace is a service mark of Rackspace US, Inc. Third-party marks are the property of their respective owners. Apache Hadoop is a trademark of the Apache Software Foundation. We do not intend our use or display of other companies’ trademarks to imply a relationship with, or endorsement or sponsorship of us by, these other companies. Forward-Looking Statements This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of Rackspace Hosting could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including any statements concerning expected development, performance or market acceptance associated with the Rackspace Big Data solutions or services offered by third party technology partners; anticipated operational and financial benefits from the Big Data solutions or the services offered by third party technology partners; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the possibility that expected benefits from the Big Data solutions or the services offered by third party technology partners may not materialize because the services are not generally accepted in the marketplace, which could occur due to certain factors including (i) a failure to market the products or services cost effectively, differentiate the products and services from competitive products and services or communicate differentiations effectively, (ii) the reliability, quality or compatibility associated with the products or services, (iii) changes in technology which adversely affect the benefits of the product, (iv) slowdowns in the general economy or technology industry that impact consumer spending habits, (v) internal strategy decisions that impact the products and services, and (vi) and other risks that are described in Rackspace Hosting’s Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, filed with the SEC on August 9, 2013. Except as required by law, Rackspace Hosting assumes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements publicly, or to update the reasons actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements, even if new information becomes available in the future.