Strategy To YieldBoost Schnitzer Steel Industries To 10.2% Using Options

Shareholders of Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. (SCHN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the May 2014 covered call at the $33 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.30 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $33 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SCHN shares would have to advance 9.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for SCHN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield.

SCHN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing SCHN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $33 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the May 2014 covered call at the $33 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $33. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $29.98) to be 29%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SCHN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO: We Aren't the Same Abercrombie You Once Knew

3 Things We Just Learned About Chip Stocks -- and It's Not All Bad News

3 Things We Just Learned About Chip Stocks -- and It's Not All Bad News

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

Chipotle's New CEO Has Set its Path for Redemption

Will China Save Tesla?

Will China Save Tesla?

Facebook First-Quarter Earnings Live Blog

Facebook First-Quarter Earnings Live Blog