Interesting February 2014 Stock Options For AT&T

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is AT&T Inc ( T). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the February 2014 expiration for T. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $32 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 46 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.4% return against the $32 commitment, or a 4.2% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost T Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to T's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless AT&T Inc sees its shares fall 8.7% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $31.54 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 46 cents from $32), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 4.2% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the February 2014 expiration, for shareholders of AT&T Inc ( T) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $36 strike and collecting the premium based on the 70 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 5.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 11% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $36 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but T shares would have to advance 2.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 4.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost T Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for AT&T Inc, highlighting in green where the $32 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $36 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2014 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for AT&T Inc (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $35.04) to be 16%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 970,995 contracts, with call volume at 1.82M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

Judge Says AT&T Doesn't Have Right to Access White House Correspondence

Judge Says AT&T Doesn't Have Right to Access White House Correspondence

AT&T 5G and 4 Other Top Stories You Need to Know Before You Trade Wednesday

AT&T 5G and 4 Other Top Stories You Need to Know Before You Trade Wednesday

Wendy's, Roku, GM, AT&T and 3M - 5 Things You Must Know

Wendy's, Roku, GM, AT&T and 3M - 5 Things You Must Know

Profit With Technical Analysis: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 2/20/18)

Profit With Technical Analysis: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 2/20/18)

Goldman Bankers (Mostly) Upbeat on Tech M&A and IPO Trends

Goldman Bankers (Mostly) Upbeat on Tech M&A and IPO Trends