YieldBoost DV To 24.5% Using Options

Shareholders of DeVRY Inc. (DV) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1% annualized dividend yield can sell the December covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.30 bid, which annualizes to an additional 23.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 24.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DV shares would have to advance 5.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of DeVRY Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for DV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1% annualized dividend yield.

DV+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing DV's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the December covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for DeVRY Inc. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $33.18) to be 45%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DV Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 869,819 contracts, with call volume at 1.63M, for a put:call ratio of 0.53 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Dump All Your Disney Stock: Doug Kass Insider

Dump All Your Disney Stock: Doug Kass Insider

3 Must Know Market Insights From TheStreet's Jim Cramer Before Wednesday's Open

3 Must Know Market Insights From TheStreet's Jim Cramer Before Wednesday's Open

CHART: Even Consumer Staples Stocks Are Being Pummeled in Tuesday's Market Rout

CHART: Even Consumer Staples Stocks Are Being Pummeled in Tuesday's Market Rout

Why Google, Facebook and Other Tech Giants' Capital Spending Is Going Sky High

Why Google, Facebook and Other Tech Giants' Capital Spending Is Going Sky High

Three Big Factors That Rocked the Stock Market Tuesday

Three Big Factors That Rocked the Stock Market Tuesday