Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Southwest Gas Corporation ( SWX) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Southwest Gas Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SWX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $8.6 million.
- SWX has traded 120,702 shares today.
- SWX is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SWX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SWX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SWX: Southwest Gas Corporation engages in the purchase, distribution, and transportation of natural gas in Arizona, Nevada, and California. The company operates in two segments, natural gas operations and construction services. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.6%. SWX has a PE ratio of 15.6. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Southwest Gas Corporation a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Southwest Gas Corporation has been 131,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Southwest Gas has a market cap of $2.3 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.60 and a short float of 2% with 5.57 days to cover. Shares are up 17.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Southwest Gas Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- SOUTHWEST GAS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SOUTHWEST GAS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.87 versus $2.42 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.98 versus $2.87).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Gas Utilities industry. The net income increased by 375.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$3.68 million to $10.11 million.
- SWX's revenue growth trails the industry average of 21.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- You can view the full Southwest Gas Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.