Mix the family hound with a bag of frozen onion rings and you get a recipe for one sick puppy -- and the winner of the 2013 Hambone Award for the most unusual pet insurance claim of the year. Veterinary Pet Insurance's annual contest is now in its fifth year and is named after an ambitious dog that ate a thigh-sized holiday ham while stuck in a walk-in fridge. Top honors this year go to Winnie, a mixed breed canine belonging to the Bowser family of Barnstable, Mass. Winnie's odyssey began when the Bowsers, rushing out of the house to pick up their daughter after putting away groceries, accidentally left a two-pound bag of onion rings in the kitchen. "When we returned home, we had a very guilty-looking dog and an empty bag on the floor," recalls Kyle Bowser, pictured with Winnie at right. Not a big deal, the Bowsers thought, Winnie may get a little queasy is all. But after Kyle's husband posted the story and a photo of Winnie on Facebook, a friend told them that onions and dogs don't get along. That led to some research, which led to a trip to the vet. "I did some quick investigating and found out that onions aren't just bad for dogs, they are extremely toxic and can cause anemia," Kyle said in a press statement. "After reading that, I immediately called the Pet Poison Helpline, and they instructed me to take Winnie to the veterinarian." After clearing Winnie's stomach, the vet fed her charcoal to absorb toxins. Still concerned that the onion rings could cause anemia, tests were ordered to see if Winnie's blood cells had been compromised. The tests were negative. A good outcome, but Carol McConnell, Veterinary Pet Insurance's (VPI) vice president and chief veterinary medical officer, warns that onions can be dangerous when eaten by cats and dogs.