Then, we wanted to consider how well the companies perform when it comes to generating returns for their investors. Since these firms are somewhat young we were interested in how they would perform in the future – so we also limited our universe to only include stocks with a forward price to earnings ratio (forward P/E) below 15.Forward P/E looks at a stock's P/E ratio combined with estimated future earnings. If a company's forward P/E ratio is lower than the current P/E ratio, this indicates there is optimism about the stock's future earnings growth. We were left with 6 stocks under 5 bucks. Deal or no deal? Click on the interactive chart below to see analyst ratings over time. Are any of these small cap stocks poised to grow? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. LoJack Corp. ( LOJN): Provides technology products and services for the tracking and recovery of mobile assets, stolen vehicles, motorcycles, construction equipment, cargo, and people at risk. Market cap at $81.95M, most recent closing price at $4.75. Forward P/E: 10.76.
2. SIGA Technologies, Inc. ( SIGA): Engages in the research, discovery, development, and commercialization of novel products for the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. Market cap at $182.12M, most recent closing price at $3.43. Forward P/E: 4.7.
3. Rentech, Inc. ( RTK): Provides alternative and clean energy solutions; and manufactures and sells nitrogen fertilizer products. Market cap at $472.98M, most recent closing price at $2.05. Forward P/E: 10.62.
4. UR-Energy Inc. ( URG): Engages in the identification, acquisition, evaluation, exploration, and development of uranium mineral properties. Market cap at $126.14M, most recent closing price at $1.03. Forward P/E: 12.12.
5. Ultrapetrol (Bahamas) Ltd. ( ULTR): Provides marine transportation services primarily in South America, Europe, and Asia. Market cap at $522.36M, most recent closing price at $3.71.Forward P/E: 14.11.
6. Lloyds Banking Group plc ( LYG): Provides various banking and financial services to personal and corporate customers primarily in the United Kingdom. Market cap at $88.77B, most recent closing price at $4.94. Forward P/E: 10.98. ( List compiled by James Dennin, a Kapitall Writer. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research. All other data sourced from Finviz.)