Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified VisionChina Media ( VISN) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified VisionChina Media as such a stock due to the following factors:
- VISN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $21.0 million.
- VISN has traded 1.1 million shares today.
- VISN traded in a range 510.8% of the normal price range with a price range of $5.19.
- VISN traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 458 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 458 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VISN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VISN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on VISN: VisionChina Media Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides advertising services in the People's Republic of China. It operates out-of-home advertising network using real-time mobile digital television broadcasts to deliver content and advertising on mass transportation systems. Currently there are no analysts that rate VisionChina Media a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for VisionChina Media has been 23,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. VisionChina Media has a market cap of $11.6 million and is part of the services sector and media industry. Shares are down 24.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates VisionChina Media as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its poor profit margins and generally high debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for VISIONCHINA MEDIA INC is rather low; currently it is at 20.68%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VISN's net profit margin of -21.89% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Despite the current debt-to-equity ratio of 1.55, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Media industry. Despite the fact that VISN's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.69 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, VISIONCHINA MEDIA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- VISIONCHINA MEDIA INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VISIONCHINA MEDIA INC reported poor results of -$48.65 versus -$2.40 in the prior year.
- VISN, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full VisionChina Media Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.