One Put, One Call, To Know About For 3M

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is 3M Co (MMM). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the November expiration for MMM.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $115 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 82 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 0.7% return against the $115 commitment, or a 10.4% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to MMM's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless 3M Co sees its shares decline 4.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $114.18 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 82 cents from $115), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 10.4% annualized rate of return.

Interestingly, that annualized 10.4% figure actually exceeds the 2.1% annualized dividend paid by 3M Co by 8.3%, based on the current share price of $120.71. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 4.6% to reach the $115 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of 3M Co, looking at the dividend history chart for MMM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield.

MMM+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the November expiration, for shareholders of 3M Co ( MMM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $121 strike and collecting the premium based on the $2.14 bid, annualizes to an additional 25.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 28% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $121 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MMM shares would have to climb 0.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MMM Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for 3M Co, highlighting in green where the $115 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $121 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the November put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for 3M Co (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $120.71) to be 14%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 635,584 contracts, with call volume at 635,584, for a put:call ratio of 0.76 so far for the day, which is above normal compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65. In other words, if we look at the number of call buyers and then use the long-term median to project the number of put buyers we'd expect to see, we're actually seeing more put buyers than expected out there in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Earnings Season Is Simply Out of Control Madness - How Are You Surviving?

Earnings Season Is Simply Out of Control Madness - How Are You Surviving?

Key Numbers for Investors to Watch as Amazon, Microsoft and Intel Report Results

Key Numbers for Investors to Watch as Amazon, Microsoft and Intel Report Results

Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and Ford - 5 Things You Must Know

Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and Ford - 5 Things You Must Know

Global Stocks Mixed, U.S. Futures Soften as Earnings, Oil, Rates Cloud Sentiment

Global Stocks Mixed, U.S. Futures Soften as Earnings, Oil, Rates Cloud Sentiment

3 Things We Just Learned About Chip Stocks -- and It's Not All Bad News

3 Things We Just Learned About Chip Stocks -- and It's Not All Bad News