American Water Works Company, Inc. (NYSE: AWK), the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, announced today that its American Water Resources of Washington, D.C. subsidiary is offering its Water Line and Sewer Line Protection Programs to more than 20,000 residents of the metropolitan Washington D.C. region. The water and sewer line protection service is offered to homeowners to assist them when repairs are needed on the portion of their water or sewer line that belongs to them. Typically, this is the portion of the pipe that lies within the homeowner’s property. The nation’s water and wastewater infrastructure is in desperate need of repair and replacement. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers’ Report Card for America’s Infrastructure, more than seven billion gallons of treated drinking water is lost to leaks in utility pipes every day across the country. As of 2010, 45 percent of all pipes are in poor shape according to the National Association of Water Companies and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Similarly, homeowners’ pipes are also experiencing leaks and breaks due to age, tree roots and shifting soil due to weather and climate changes. According to the American Water Works Association, the city of Washington D.C. has 40 water main breaks per every 100 miles of pipes and is ranked fourth in the country for water main breaks. Similarly, American Water Resources’ data shows that nine out of ten water line repairs occur in homes over 25 years of age. Homeowners in Washington and surrounding neighborhoods will receive information about American Water Resources in the mail starting in October. Residents may enroll in these optional protection programs or obtain additional information online at AWRofWashDC.com or by calling 1-866-273-4080. American Water Resources of Washington, D.C.’s Water Line and Sewer Line Protection Programs provide homeowners with peace of mind from the unexpected repair costs associated with leaks and breaks in water lines, as well as clogs or blockages in sewer lines running through their property.
American Water Resources of Washington, D.C. is offering homeowners the following programs:
- The Water Line Protection Program enrollment is $5.49 per month and covers up to $5,000 in repairs.
- The Sewer Line Protection Program enrollment is $9 per month and covers up to $8,000 in repairs.
- Combined enrollment in both programs is available for $12.49 per month and includes the same coverage as the individual programs.
- American Water Resources services over one million customer contracts throughout 36 states.
- The company provides 24/7 customer service and has a Customer Service Quality Rating of 94%.
- American Water Resources is a Better Business Bureau accredited business with an A+ Rating.
- American Water Resources has experience working with city officials to provide reliable coverage to residents. American Water Resources is the official service line protection provider for New York City, making its programs available to more than 670,000 homeowners in the City's five boroughs, in partnership with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection.