1. Grind paint off with sander.
2. Bang metal back into shape.
3. Fill remaining gaps with metal putty, often called by the brand name Bondo.
5. Spray with primer.
6. Spray with base coat.
7. Spray with paint.
8. Possibly spray with four additional layers of paint and finish. A pearl paint, for example, can take up to seven layers to match the original color.Cost: About $1,000 plus car rental. Time: As much as a week or longer. Paintless dent repair (PDR):
1. Disassemble back side of the panel to access the dented area from behind.
2. Slowly push and pull the metal back into place.
3. Use a straight-light tool to ensure surface is straight and smooth.Because the paint job remains intact, no finish work is needed. Cost: As little as $300. Time: One afternoon. No rental car required.