How To YieldBoost Invacare Corp To 8.1%

Shareholders of Invacare Corp (IVC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the May 2014 covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the 80 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IVC shares would have to climb 16.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 21.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Invacare Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for IVC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield.

IVC+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IVC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the May 2014 covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Invacare Corp (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.03) to be 30%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IVC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

Why the Stock Market Won't Crash When 10-Year Yields Smash Through 3%

Why the Stock Market Won't Crash When 10-Year Yields Smash Through 3%

Wait, Google Was Almost Called What?

Wait, Google Was Almost Called What?

3 Things Investors Must Know for Monday

3 Things Investors Must Know for Monday

Alphabet Earnings, Bond Yields Rise, Akorn Plunges - 5 Things You Must Know

Alphabet Earnings, Bond Yields Rise, Akorn Plunges - 5 Things You Must Know

Global Stocks Slip as 3% 10-Year Yields, Bad Tech News Unsettle Markets

Global Stocks Slip as 3% 10-Year Yields, Bad Tech News Unsettle Markets