Strategy To YieldBoost LAD From 0.8% To 12.1%

Shareholders of Lithia Motors, Inc. ( LAD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $75 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.40 bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $75 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LAD shares would have to advance 11.1% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Lithia Motors, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for LAD below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.8% annualized dividend yield.

LAD+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing LAD's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $75 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $75 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $75. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Lithia Motors, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $67.52) to be 32%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the LAD Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

If you liked this article you might like

KeyBanc Bearish on Auto Industry as Earnings Likely to Miss

Something Is Happening in Retail Stocks You Need to Know About: Jim Cramer

Cramer: No Stock Left Behind

General Motors 1 of 6 Picks for Main Street Investors