- Worldwide system sales grew 1%, prior to foreign currency translation, including 5% growth at Yum! Restaurants International (YRI). System sales declined 2% in China and were flat in the U.S.
- Same-store sales declined 11% in China. Same-store sales grew 1% at YRI and were flat in the U.S.
- Total international development was 364 new restaurants; 79% of this development occurred in emerging markets.
- Worldwide restaurant margin declined 1.3 percentage points to 17.6%, including declines of 1.9 percentage points in China, 0.6 percentage points at YRI and 0.7 percentage points in the U.S.
- Worldwide operating profit declined 9%, prior to foreign currency translation, including declines of 14% in China and 2% at YRI. Operating profit grew 1% in the U.S.
- Worldwide effective tax rate, prior to Special Items, increased to 33.1% from 25.1% driven primarily by a tax reserve adjustment. The tax rate increase negatively impacted EPS results by 10 percentage points.
- A non-cash, Special Item net charge of $258 million related to the write-down of Little Sheep intangible assets was recorded in the quarter. This charge impacted reported EPS by 55 percentage points.
- On September 19, 2013, the Company announced a 10% increase in its quarterly dividend, marking the ninth consecutive year the dividend increased at a double-digit percentage rate.
- September same-store sales, which will be included in China Division’s fourth-quarter results, declined an estimated 11% for the China Division. This included estimated growth of 6% at Pizza Hut Casual Dining and an estimated decline of 13% at KFC, where sales have not yet fully recovered from the adverse publicity surrounding the December poultry supply incident.
|2013||2012||% Change||2013||2012||% Change|
|EPS Excluding Special Items||$0.85||$0.99||(15)%||$2.11||$2.42||(13)%|
|Special Items Gain/(Loss) 1||$(0.52)||$0.01||NM||$(0.45)||$0.23||NM|
|1 See Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Measurements to GAAP Results for further detail of the Special Items. Special Items for 2013 are primarily related to the impairment of Little Sheep and U.S. refranchising gains. Special Items for 2012 comparable periods are primarily related to the Little Sheep acquisition gain, U.S. refranchising gains and Pizza Hut UK refranchising.|
|Note: All comparisons are versus the same period a year ago and exclude Special Items unless noted.|