Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials laggard. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.5%. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum fell $1.31 (-2.0%) to $63.92 on average volume. Throughout the day, 2,504,755 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,124,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $63.16-$65.12 after having opened the day at $65.00 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $65.23. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: GeoPetro Resources Company ( GPR), down 25.0%, Materion ( MTRN), down 10.9%, CKX Lands ( CKX), down 8.2% and Prospect Global Resources ( PGRX), down 8.0%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.