Shareholders of Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp (BGFV - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 12.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 15% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BGFV shares would have to advance 10.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for BGFV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BGFV's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $15.80) to be 51%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BGFV Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 563,518 contracts, with call volume at 951,586, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Supreme Court to Hear Oracle's Copyright Case Against Google
Oracle first sued Google back in 2010 for allegedly stealing code that eventually ended up in Android phones.
Nike to Investigate Oregon Project Following NYT, Sports Illustrated Reports
Nike shut down its Nike Oregon Project in October after a runner reported the program having a toxic culture.
'Ridiculous' Market Hits 28,000: Fight the Trade Deal at Your Own Risk
What is most notable about sentiment is that there isn't much cheering.
Dow Ends Above 28,000; Stocks at Records on Trade-Deal Hopes
The three major U.S. stock indexes closed at record highs Friday following bullish comments on U.S.-China trade talks from a key White House adviser.
UnitedHealth Shares Jump After Warren's More Moderate Medicare for All Plan
Senator Elizabeth Warren's recently released her Medicare plan and several analysts noted that it was more moderate and favorable to health care insurers than expected.