Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Halcon Resources ( HK) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Halcon Resources as such a stock due to the following factors:
- HK has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $23.3 million.
- HK has traded 990,666 shares today.
- HK is down 3.2% today.
- HK was up 8.3% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HK with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HK NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on HK: Halcon Resources Corporation, an independent energy company, engages in the acquisition, production, exploration, and development of onshore oil and natural gas properties in the United States. HK has a PE ratio of 15.2. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Halcon Resources a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Halcon Resources has been 5.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Halcon has a market cap of $1.9 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.10 and a short float of 21% with 8.97 days to cover. Shares are down 31.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Halcon Resources as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- HK's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 816.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 384.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.66 million to $37.09 million.
- HALCON RESOURCES CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HALCON RESOURCES CORP reported poor results of -$1.24 versus -$0.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.20 versus -$1.24).
- HK's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 33.24%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.09 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.39, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full Halcon Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.