KANSAS CITY, Mo., Oct. 4, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cerner (Nasdaq:CERN) will host more than 10,000 people in Kansas City for the 28 th annual Cerner Health Conference (CHC). Clients, partners and associates from more than 28 countries will gather to collaborate with peers, share best practices and gain hands-on experience with innovative health care solutions and services. The conference begins Oct. 6 and runs through Oct. 9. The idea behind the 2013 theme, It Starts with Me, describes the notion that big or small, change starts somewhere. A moment of inspiration in a single person can ignite a spark that helps transform health care. The event is expected to generate about $7.2 million for the Kansas City economy, based on spending by the company and attendees. About half of the attendees will come from outside the area. Cerner clients will lead the majority of the more than 250 diverse education sessions, providing more than 600 available continuing education credits. CHC 2013 will also offer seven in-depth sessions highlighting some of the health care industry's most relevant issues, such as population health, quality outcomes, interoperability, clinical and financial integration, care transitions and clinical mobility. Beyond education sessions, attendees will have the opportunity to learn about best practices from their peers and Cerner experts through demonstrations, interactive exhibits and networking opportunities. The following speakers will provide keynote addresses during the conference: CHC 2013 General Session Speakers
- Sunday, Oct. 6 at 5 p.m. CDT: Dr. Sajjad Yacoob, Dr. Brian Yeaman, Dr. Jonathan Bickel and Rebecca Onie will each deliver 18-minute speeches in the Grand Ballroom of the Kansas City Convention Center.
- Dr, Sajjad Yacoob is a pediatrician and the chief medical information officer at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). This industry thought leader has a strong connection to the theme, It Starts with Me, and will discuss CHLA's Knowledge Information Decision Support system and the importance of connecting care across the continuum.
- Dr. Brian Yeaman is a primary care physician and the chief medical informatics officer at Norman Regional Health System. An engaging speaker with a compelling story to tell, Dr. Yeaman will share how Oklahoma City-area hospitals have reduced readmissions and emergency department visits through Oklahoma's state-wide health information exchange (HIE). Dr. Yeaman will share his personal experience of how Oklahoma's HIE allowed providers to access valuable patient information after the 2013 Moore, Okla. tornado.
- Dr. Johnathan Bickel, senior director of business intelligence and clinical research informatics at Boston Children's Hospital, will discuss how Boston Children's, one of the "Most Wired" hospitals in the US, is improving patient care by taking informatics to the next level. Fervent on leveraging data to improve outcomes, Dr. Bickel will provide an inspiring look at i2b2 – "integrating informatics bench to bedside" – and how actionable data is changing the face of health care at Boston Children's.
- Rebecca Onie, the Schwab Foundation's 2013 Social Entrepreneur of the Year, will share the moving story of how she saw a critical need in health care as a student and made it her responsibility to do something about it by founding Health Leads. Health Leads is program that enables clinicians to prescribe food, heat and other basic resources, just as they would medication, to help low income individuals and their families be healthy. Rebecca will discuss what's possible when health care professionals are able to remove the socioeconomic barriers that limit access to health care, thereby enabling a health care system focused on health, not just treating illness.
- Monday, Oct. 7 at 8 a.m. CDT: Kick off the first full day of Cerner Health Conference with Dr. Brendan Carr, as well as a yet to be announced world-renowned thinker on health care quality and cost.
- Dr. Brendan Carr is the president and CEO of Island Health, where he formerly served as the executive vice president and chief medical officer. Now with 10 years of population health experience, Island Health is truly accountable for every life on Vancouver Island. Well known for being an active educator and an advocate for transformation in health care, Dr. Carr will discuss how Island Health is looking toward the future with a new model to succeed amidst an aging population that could overwhelm Canada's health care system. In this presentation, Dr. Carr will share how change "starts with me."
- Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 8 a.m. CDT: Neal Patterson, Cerner chairman, CEO and co-founder, will provide an update on Cerner's vision for health systems, providers, and communities.
- Leading up to CHC and throughout the event, follow the Cerner.com blog for posts such as Q&A's from our guest speakers and clients. The Cerner.com blog will be updated daily.
- Join the conversation via Twitter using #CHC2013 and follow Cerner on Twitter: @Cerner
- For more information on event speakers and education sessions, visit: www.cerner.com/events.aspx.
- If you are a member of the media and would like to attend one of the general session presentations, please contact Megan Moriarty. Members of the media must be registered prior to attending these sessions.
Cerner® solutions are licensed by approximately 10,000 facilities around the world, including more than 2,700 hospitals; 4,150 physician practices; 45,000 physicians; 550 ambulatory facilities, such as laboratories, ambulatory centers, behavioral health centers, cardiac facilities, radiology clinics and surgery centers; 800 home health facilities; 45 employer sites and 1,750 retail pharmacies.Certain trademarks, service marks and logos (collectively, the "Marks") set forth herein are owned by Cerner Corporation and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and certain other countries throughout the world. All other non-Cerner Marks are the property of their respective owners. Nasdaq: CERN. For more information about Cerner, please visit www.cerner.com, Twitter , Facebook and YouTube.
CONTACT: Cerner Media Contact: Megan Moriarty, (816) 888-2470, firstname.lastname@example.org Cerner Investors Contact: Allan Kells, (816) 201-2445, email@example.com