Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified DISH Network ( DISH) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified DISH Network as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DISH has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $146.8 million.
- DISH has traded 524,198 shares today.
- DISH traded in a range 205.6% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.33.
- DISH traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 11 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 11 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DISH with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DISH NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on DISH: DISH Network Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, offers direct broadcast satellite subscription television services in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 8.2%. DISH has a PE ratio of 82.2. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate DISH Network a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for DISH Network has been 2.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. DISH Network has a market cap of $10.0 billion and is part of the services sector and media industry. Shares are up 26.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates DISH Network as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and generally higher debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DISH's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $544.81 million or 11.29% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -16.01%.
- 38.87% is the gross profit margin for DISH NETWORK CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of DISH's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.30% trails the industry average.
- DISH NETWORK CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DISH NETWORK CORP reported lower earnings of $1.41 versus $3.38 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 4.6% in earnings ($1.35 versus $1.41).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 104.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $225.73 million to -$11.05 million.
- You can view the full DISH Network Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.