Key Points to Know:
- Research shows intent to purchase more than doubles when consumers see a brand's response to a negative review
- Brand responses significantly improve product sentiment and increase sales when used to clarify product differentiators or correct misperceptions
- Bazaarvoice Connections enables brands to respond to reviews on more than 200 retail sites
- Responsive brands increase sales. When consumers saw a brand's response to a negative review, their overall opinion of the product and their intent to purchase more than doubled compared to when they saw a negative review without a brand response. In addition, when brands responded to a review in which the product owner misused or demonstrated a significant misconception about the product, shoppers who saw the brand response were 186 percent more likely to purchase than those who didn't. Similarly, when a brand's response offered to refund, upgrade, or exchange a disgruntled customer's product for a different model, shoppers were 92 percent more likely to purchase than shoppers who saw no response.
- Perception improves when brands respond to consumers. Shoppers see responsive brands as caring and trustworthy and show higher sentiment toward their products. Seeing a brand response to a review made consumers think the brand "really cares about consumers" (41 percent), "has great customer service," (35 percent); is "a trustworthy brand," (22 percent); or provides "products [that] are high quality" (14 percent). Average sentiment also improved 157 percent after seeing a review with a brand response that corrected product misuse and offered corrective instructions, and 88 percent when a brand response offered to refund or upgrade the reviewer's product.