Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Liberty Global ( LBTYA) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Liberty Global as such a stock due to the following factors:
- LBTYA has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 0.31 mentions/day.
- LBTYA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $189.3 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in LBTYA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for LBTYA NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on LBTYA: Liberty Global plc, an international cable company, provides television, broadband Internet, and telephony services. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Liberty Global a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Liberty Global has been 2.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Liberty Global has a market cap of $17.4 billion and is part of the services sector and media industry. The stock has a beta of 1.40 and a short float of 4.2% with 2.46 days to cover. Shares are up 23.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Liberty Global as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and generally higher debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 95.06% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 32.25% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for LIBERTY GLOBAL PLC is rather high; currently it is at 62.96%. Regardless of LBTYA's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.36% trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 101.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $701.60 million to -$11.60 million.
- Although LBTYA's debt-to-equity ratio of 3.48 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. To add to this, LBTYA has a quick ratio of 0.51, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Liberty Global Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.