- New T1-hypointense lesions by 53 percent in the two-week dosing arm (p<0.0001) and 18 percent in the four-week dosing arm (p=0.082), ns
- New active lesions by 67 percent in the two-week dosing arm (p<0.0001) and 35 percent in the four-week dosing arm (p<0.0001)
- New or newly enlarging T2-hyperintense lesions by 67 percent in the two-week dosing arm (p<0.0001) and 28 percent in the four-week dosing arm (p=0.0008)
- New Gd+ lesions by 86 percent in the two-week dosing (p<0.0001) and 36 percent in the four-week dosing arm (p=0.07), ns
Clinical and MRI results, including a post-hoc analysis evaluating the absence of measured disease activity from year one of the ADVANCE study, will be presented in the poster session titled, “Immunomodulation/Immunosuppression,” on Thursday, 3 October at 3:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. CET:
- Peginterferon Beta-1a Provides Improvements in Clinical and Radiological Disease Activity in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis: Year 1 Findings from the Phase 3 ADVANCE Study (poster 514)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Results from the First Year of the ADVANCE Study, a Pivotal Phase 3 Trial of Peginterferon Beta-1a in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (poster 989)
After the first year, patients on placebo are re-randomized to one of the PLEGRIDY arms for the duration of the second year of the study. After completing two years in the ADVANCE study, patients have the option of enrolling in an open-label extension study called ATTAIN and will be followed for up to four years.About Biogen Idec Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www.biogenidec.com. Safe Harbor This press release includes forward-looking statements, including statements about the potential therapeutic effects of PLEGRIDY in MS. These forward-looking statements may be accompanied by such words as "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "expect," "forecast," "intend," "may," "plan," "will," and other words and terms of similar meaning. You should not place undue reliance on these statements. Drug development and commercialization involve a high degree of risk. Factors which could cause actual results to differ materially from our current expectations include the risk that unexpected concerns may arise from additional data or analysis, regulatory authorities may require additional information or further studies, or may fail to approve or may delay approval of our drug candidates, or we may encounter other unexpected hurdles. For more detailed information on the risks and uncertainties associated with our drug development and commercialization activities, please review the Risk Factors section of our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These statements are based on our current beliefs and expectations and speak only as of the date of this press release. We do not undertake any obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements.