Some heavily shorted stocks have gone up faster than others without bearish sentiments. For many reasons, short selling stocks is tricky. Even institutions who have been following a company for years don't have nearly as much information as those on the inside. Beyond that, when you bet on a company to essentially fail, you know there are hundreds or thousands of employees who are doing their darndest to prove you wrong. Finally, short selling can also paradoxically send a stock price up, even when the company isn't adding any value. While some call short selling predatory, others argue it's an essential part of getting market prices close to fair value.
- Short selling occurs when you borrow shares, usually from a broker, and sell them.
- When the company's stock goes down, you buy back the shares at a discounted price and return them.
- This is called short covering – all this extra activity can send up a share price.
- And if too many people try to cover at the same time, it inflates demand for the shorted shares.
- This is called a short squeeze – and it can send a price through the roof.
2. Myriad Genetics Inc. ( MYGN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Focuses on the development and marketing of novel predictive medicine, personalized medicine, and prognostic medicine products. Market cap at $2.04B, most recent closing price at $25.49. Shares shorted have increased from 13.12M to 15.66M over the last month, an increase which represents about 3.17% of the company's float of 80.15M shares. Days to cover ratio at 8.95 days. Sales Past 5 Yrs: 22.5% EPS Growth Qtr. over Qtr.: 55.9% LTDebt/Equity: 0.00. P/E: 14.40.
3. Noah Holdings Limited ( NOAH, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the distribution of wealth management products to the high net worth population in China. Market cap at $1.87B, most recent closing price at $17.09. Shares shorted have increased from 1.03M to 1.90M over the last month, an increase which represents about 6.23% of the company's float of 13.97M shares. Days to cover ratio at 4.01 days. Sales Past 5 Yrs: 93.5% EPS Growth Qtr over Qtr: 18.2% LTDebt/Equity: 0.00. P/E: 14.67. 4. Vera Bradley, Inc. ( VRA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the design, production, marketing, and retail of functional accessories for women under the Vera Bradley' brand. Market cap at $826.27M, most recent closing price at $20.35. Shares shorted have increased from 11.09M to 11.37M over the last month, an increase which represents about 1.3% of the company's float of 21.61M shares. Days to cover ratio at 22.57 days.
Sales Past 5 Yrs.: 68.7%EPS Growth Qtr. over Qtr.: 12.1% LTDebt/Equity: 0.00. P/E: 12.33. ( List compiled by James Dennin. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research, short data sourced from Yahoo! Finance, all other data sourced from Finviz.) Analyze These Ideas: Getting Started
- Read descriptions for all companies mentioned
- Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list
- Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned
- Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned
- Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
- Cirrus Logic Inc.(CRUS, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Myriad Genetics Inc.(MYGN, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Noah Holdings Limited(NOAH, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
- Vera Bradley, Inc.(VRA, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.