While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Navios Maritime Partners L.P (NYSE: NMM) shares currently have a dividend yield of 12.30%. Navios Maritime Partners L.P. engages in the ownership and operation of dry cargo vessels in Europe, Asia, North America, and Australia. The company has a P/E ratio of 9.30. The average volume for Navios Maritime Partners L.P has been 423,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Navios Maritime Partners L.P has a market cap of $941.4 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 17.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Navios Maritime Partners L.P as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NMM's revenue growth trails the industry average of 17.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.52, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.26, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, NAVIOS MARITIME PARTNERS LP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for NAVIOS MARITIME PARTNERS LP is currently very high, coming in at 92.56%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 39.69% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- NAVIOS MARITIME PARTNERS LP's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NAVIOS MARITIME PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.64 versus $1.19 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 52.1% in earnings ($0.79 versus $1.64).
- You can view the full Navios Maritime Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CLCT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, CLCT has a quick ratio of 2.01, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Consumer Services industry and the overall market, COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for COLLECTORS UNIVERSE INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.46%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 14.39% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- You can view the full Collectors Universe Ratings Report.
- GOV's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $28.84 million or 24.00% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 5.47%.
- GOVERNMENT PPTYS INCOME TR has improved earnings per share by 12.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GOVERNMENT PPTYS INCOME TR reported lower earnings of $1.03 versus $1.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.27 versus $1.03).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 27.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $11.95 million to $15.20 million.
- You can view the full Government Properties Income Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.