Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS), a leading global supplier of high performance power and mobile semiconductor solutions, has enhanced Power Supply WebDesigner (PSW) – an online design and simulation tool that provides complete designs in under a minute – to include power train discrete (MOSFET/IGBT/Rectifier) device power loss and efficiency analysis tools. Intended for 100 W to 3 kW designs as a function of input and output conditions, these new modules provide designers power factor correction (PFC), phase-shifted full-bridge plus secondary side synchronous rectification (PSFB+SR) power train discrete device analysis, and the matrix of device combinations associated with these topologies. From user-specified electrical and mechanical specifications, the new modules provide an optimum combination of power discrete semiconductors, transformer and inductor design values, as well as a bill of material (BOM). It also provides a dashboard view of the converter’s system and device power loss, device junction temperature, and further component fine-tuning over the operating conditions. As with other PSW modules, designers using the tools can accept default recommended values, or spend time optimizing the important details to their unique design needs. They can get quick, accurate estimates on design performance, and refine design choices as they go. The tools also allow them to spend the time to perform detailed simulation analysis and learn the insights of how their design and its hardware prototype will work with higher degree of confidence. The Power Train Discrete Module consists of a phase-shifted full bridge with secondary side synchronous rectification (PSFB+SR) module and power factor correction (PFC) module. They are easy-to-use, powerful online simulation tools that provide designers:
- An optimized tool that works with the most popular PSFB+SR control ICs on the market (UCC28950 and UCC3895).
- A complete power train discrete device design including selection of the optimum Fairchild MOSFET, IGBT, and rectifier. Users can select the optimum bridge rectifier, MOSFET/IGBT, and power rectifier part numbers (PNs), or let the tools recommend from user-specified system design inputs.
- An optimized power train discrete design targeting power supplies that need PFC and/or PSFB+SR.
- Power train discrete component losses correlated against hardware for highest level of relative accuracy unmatched by equation-based calculation alone.
- The ability to compare different sets of power train discrete combinations within one analysis. The module highlights Fairchild’s MOSFET and IGBT technology portfolio which includes SuperFET® MOSFETs, SuperFET® II MOSFETs, SupreMOS® MOSFETs, PowerTrench® MOSFETs and field-stop IGBTs.
- The option to let the tools recommend or fine-tune the power train discrete components, automating a tedious, high-iteration, manual trial-and-error / test-design step, saving valuable time.
- Visual representation of system and major component power loss and efficiency over different line and load conditions, allowing designer to go back into the online design steps to re-balance the system and component loss before prototyping.
When a design is complete, PSW creates a BOM which can be sent to their procurement department or instantly procure the components online, saving time on documentation or sourcing parts elsewhere. Additionally, they can save their design for future reference or pass the design on to other team members.Power Supply WebDesigner offers a suite of time-saving tools for designing and optimizing the system and power train. The online tool experience ranges from device to system analysis and simulation that takes minutes. The models, calculations and iterative steps of power supply design are built into the tools. Regardless of the users experience level, the tools will increase effectiveness, efficiency and confidence when designing. Fairchild Semiconductor is a global leader in delivering energy-efficient power analog, power discrete, and optoelectronic solutions. These products maximize energy savings in power-sensitive applications such as power adapters, power supplies, lighting applications, computers, industrial controls, and home appliances. Fairchild’s solutions drive efficiency while simplifying system design, reducing board space, improving system reliability, and speeding time-to-market. In addition, our Global Power Resource SM – comprised of online tools, FAEs, and regional centers staffed by experienced power engineers – is the industry standard for customer design support. To try the tool, please visit: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/support/design-tools/power-train-discrete-device-power-loss-and-analysis/ For information on products, design resources and sales contacts, please visit: http://www.fairchildsemi.com. About Fairchild Semiconductor: Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS) – global presence, local support, smart ideas. Fairchild delivers energy-efficient, easy-to-use and value-added semiconductor solutions for power and mobile designs. We help our customers differentiate their products and solve difficult technical challenges with our expertise in power and analog and mixed signal products. Please contact us on the web at http://www.fairchildsemi.com. Connect with us on LinkedIn Follow us on Twitter @FairchildSemi View product and company videos, listen to podcasts and comment on our blog at http://engineeringconnections.com/blog/ Visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/FairchildSemiconductor