Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified AutoZone ( AZO) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified AutoZone as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AZO has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.25 mentions/day.
- AZO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $150.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AZO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AZO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on AZO: AutoZone, Inc. engages in retailing and distributing automotive replacement parts and accessories. AZO has a PE ratio of 16.2. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate AutoZone a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for AutoZone has been 226,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. AutoZone has a market cap of $14.8 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.24 and a short float of 5.8% with 6.00 days to cover. Shares are up 17.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates AutoZone as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- AUTOZONE INC has improved earnings per share by 15.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AUTOZONE INC increased its bottom line by earning $23.57 versus $19.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($27.70 versus $23.57).
- AZO's revenue growth trails the industry average of 21.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for AUTOZONE INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.20%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.03% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $385.02 million or 14.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, AUTOZONE INC's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 29.87%.
- You can view the full AutoZone Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.