YieldBoost Ryder System To 16.6%

Shareholders of Ryder System, Inc. ( R) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the February 2014 covered call at the $60 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 14.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 16.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $60 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but R shares would have to climb 1.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Analysts Like »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Ryder System, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for R below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.

R+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing R's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $60 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February 2014 covered call at the $60 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $60. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Ryder System, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $59.45) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the R Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

If you liked this article you might like

How to Manage GE Risk and the Netflix-Disney Fight: Market Recon

How to Manage GE Risk and the Netflix-Disney Fight: Market Recon

Harvey, Irma Put Gulf Oil Refiners on Watch; Tesla Takes Aim at Trucking - ICYMI

Harvey, Irma Put Gulf Oil Refiners on Watch; Tesla Takes Aim at Trucking - ICYMI

Tesla's Autonomous Tractor Trailer Could Rock the Trucking Industry's Foundation

Tesla's Autonomous Tractor Trailer Could Rock the Trucking Industry's Foundation

Ryder to Become Provider of Electric Trucks on Lease for Chanje

Ryder to Become Provider of Electric Trucks on Lease for Chanje

Cramer: Bulls Can Find No Solace in the Transportation Index

Cramer: Bulls Can Find No Solace in the Transportation Index