YieldBoost Ross Stores From 0.9% To 5.4%

Shareholders of Ross Stores, Inc. (ROST) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $80 strike and collect the premium based on the $4.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $80 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ROST shares would have to climb 11.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the Nasdaq 100 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Ross Stores, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for ROST below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

ROST+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing ROST's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $80 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $80 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $80. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Ross Stores, Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $71.75) to be 24%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ROST Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

Jim Cramer: Advanced Micro Devices CEO Lisa Su Saved the Company

Jim Cramer: Advanced Micro Devices CEO Lisa Su Saved the Company

Jim Cramer Just Spoke to Larry Kudlow About the China Trade Negotiations

Jim Cramer Just Spoke to Larry Kudlow About the China Trade Negotiations

Intel's First-Quarter Earnings Report: 4 Key Metrics to Pay Attention To

Intel's First-Quarter Earnings Report: 4 Key Metrics to Pay Attention To

UPS Has Plans to Deliver Shareholders a Higher Stock Price

UPS Has Plans to Deliver Shareholders a Higher Stock Price

Your Questions Answered on How to Play Earnings Season

Your Questions Answered on How to Play Earnings Season