How To YieldBoost W.W. Grainger To 13.9%

Shareholders of W.W. Grainger Inc. ( GWW) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2014 covered call at the $270 strike and collect the premium based on the $10.60 bid, which annualizes to an additional 12.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 13.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $270 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GWW shares would have to climb 0.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 4.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of W.W. Grainger Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for GWW below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.4% annualized dividend yield.

GWW+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing GWW's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $270 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 covered call at the $270 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $270. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for W.W. Grainger Inc. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $267.32) to be 19%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the GWW Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

If you liked this article you might like

GM, Teva, Facebook and Other New Jana Partners Positions

GM, Teva, Facebook and Other New Jana Partners Positions

Super Bowl of Earnings: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/26/18)

Super Bowl of Earnings: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/26/18)

Axon Enterprise, WW Grainger: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round

Axon Enterprise, WW Grainger: 'Mad Money' Lightning Round

There Is Good and a Lot of Bad in General Electric Earnings

There Is Good and a Lot of Bad in General Electric Earnings

W.W. Grainger Gets a Quantitative Upgrade by TheStreet.com

W.W. Grainger Gets a Quantitative Upgrade by TheStreet.com