How To YieldBoost LUK To 5.8%

Shareholders of Leucadia National Corp. (LUK) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $30 strike and collect the premium based on the 65 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LUK shares would have to climb 11.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Leucadia National Corp., looking at the dividend history chart for LUK below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

LUK+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing LUK's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $30 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $30 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $30. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Leucadia National Corp. (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $27.24) to be 23%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the LUK Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

Pegasystems Founder Explains Why He Has One of the Hottest Tech Stocks Around

9 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Blow Wall Street's Performance Away in 2019

9 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Blow Wall Street's Performance Away in 2019

Jim Cramer on U.S.-China Trade: The Media Has it Wrong

Jim Cramer on U.S.-China Trade: The Media Has it Wrong

Is Tesla's Stock Set to Nearly Double to $500?

Is Tesla's Stock Set to Nearly Double to $500?

Tesla's $78,000 Model 3 Is a Bargain. Here's Why

Tesla's $78,000 Model 3 Is a Bargain. Here's Why