How To YieldBoost PRGO From 0.3% To 8.5%

Shareholders of Perrigo Company ( PRGO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the May 2014 covered call at the $130 strike and collect the premium based on the $6.60 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $130 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but PRGO shares would have to advance 4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Analysts Like »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Perrigo Company, looking at the dividend history chart for PRGO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.3% annualized dividend yield.

PRGO+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing PRGO's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $130 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the May 2014 covered call at the $130 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $130. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Perrigo Company (considering the last 250 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $124.72) to be 20%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the PRGO Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

If you liked this article you might like

McDonald's Takes Bite Out of Dow, but Nasdaq and S&P 500 at Records

Perrigo Stock Jumps as Starboard's Smith Says Generic Drugs a Strong Business

Valeant CEO Confident Divestitures Can Successfully Pare Debt, Skeptics Remain

These Stocks Have Changed Direction

Stocks Tank as Trump, North Korea Exchange Barbs