YieldBoost MHFI To 4.6%

Shareholders of McGraw Hill Financial, Inc. (MHFI) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $75 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.55 bid, which annualizes to an additional 2.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $75 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MHFI shares would have to climb 13.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 17.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Analysts Like »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of McGraw Hill Financial, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for MHFI below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.7% annualized dividend yield.

MHFI+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing MHFI's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $75 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $75 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $75. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for McGraw Hill Financial, Inc. (considering the last 249 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $65.91) to be 27%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MHFI Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

null

More from Stocks

The Stock Market Has Every Reason to See a Fresh Rally

The Stock Market Has Every Reason to See a Fresh Rally

3 Simple Tips on Investing From TheStreet's Jim Cramer

3 Simple Tips on Investing From TheStreet's Jim Cramer

Video: There Are Some Big Changes Coming to the PGA Championships in 2019

Video: There Are Some Big Changes Coming to the PGA Championships in 2019

Tesla's Supercharger Network Is Booming -- Here's Why That's a Concern

Tesla's Supercharger Network Is Booming -- Here's Why That's a Concern

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly