Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified BlackBerry ( BBRY) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified BlackBerry as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BBRY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $215.4 million.
- BBRY has traded 18.9 million shares today.
- BBRY traded in a range 1043% of the normal price range with a price range of $4.82.
- BBRY traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 532 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 532 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BBRY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BBRY NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on BBRY: BlackBerry Limited engages in the design, manufacture, and marketing of wireless solutions worldwide. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate BlackBerry a buy, 12 analysts rate it a sell, and 9 rate it a hold. The average volume for BlackBerry has been 26.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. BlackBerry has a market cap of $5.4 billion and is part of the technology sector and telecommunications industry. Shares are down 11.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates BlackBerry as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Communications Equipment industry and the overall market, BLACKBERRY LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $630.00 million or 11.39% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- BLACKBERRY LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKBERRY LTD swung to a loss, reporting -$1.20 versus $2.24 in the prior year.
- 41.06% is the gross profit margin for BLACKBERRY LTD which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -2.73% is in-line with the industry average.
- This stock has increased by 36.44% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in BBRY do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full BlackBerry Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.