Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Stonemor Partners (NYSE: STON) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.20%. StoneMor Partners L.P., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the ownership and operation of cemeteries in the United States. It operates through Cemetery Operations Southeast, Cemetery Operations Northeast, Cemetery Operations West, and Funeral Homes segments. The average volume for Stonemor Partners has been 95,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Stonemor Partners has a market cap of $503.9 million and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are up 13.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Stonemor Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's earnings per share has not been good. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 60.13% to $9.62 million when compared to the same quarter last year.
- The net income has significantly decreased by 444.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$2.17 million to -$11.81 million.
- 46.92% is the gross profit margin for STONEMOR PARTNERS LP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of STON's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year.
- STONEMOR PARTNERS LP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, STONEMOR PARTNERS LP continued to lose money by earning -$0.16 versus -$0.53 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 418.8% in earnings (-$0.83 versus -$0.16).
- You can view the full Stonemor Partners Ratings Report.
- GSJK's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- GSJK's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.12 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.44, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 31.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.60 million to $2.48 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $6.63 million or 45.72% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Compressco Partners Ratings Report.
- Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 74.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to its price level of one year ago, CNSL is up 1.05% to its most recent closing price of 17.23. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals should not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $28.06 million or 2.16% when compared to the same quarter last year.
- CONSOLIDATED COMM HLDGS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CONSOLIDATED COMM HLDGS INC reported lower earnings of $0.13 versus $0.88 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.86 versus $0.13).
- Although CNSL's debt-to-equity ratio of 10.02 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. To add to this, CNSL has a quick ratio of 0.55, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Consolidated Communications Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- DOM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 70.03, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. DOM has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DOM's net profit margin of 77.13% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- In its most recent trading session, DOM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Dominion Resources Black Warrior Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.