Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Inovio Pharmaceuticals ( INO) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Inovio Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- INO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $29.0 million.
- INO has traded 33.3 million shares today.
- INO is up 30.2% today.
- INO was down 8.6% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in INO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for INO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on INO: Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the discovery and development of synthetic vaccines and immune therapies focusing on cancers and infectious diseases. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Inovio Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Inovio Pharmaceuticals has been 8.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Inovio has a market cap of $400.7 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 3.35 and a short float of 6.4% with 1.07 days to cover. Shares are up 322.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Inovio Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC reported poor results of -$0.14 versus -$0.12 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 28.6% in earnings (-$0.18 versus -$0.14).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 162.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$4.13 million to -$10.85 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to -$5.42 million or 2.03% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -19.80%.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, INO's share price has jumped by 290.74%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in INO do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full Inovio Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.