Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Arbor Realty (NYSE: ABR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.50%. Arbor Realty Trust, Inc. operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 27.84. The average volume for Arbor Realty has been 156,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Arbor Realty has a market cap of $300.2 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 16.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Arbor Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ABR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- ARBOR REALTY TRUST INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ARBOR REALTY TRUST INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.64 versus -$1.53 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 37.5% in earnings ($0.40 versus $0.64).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 73.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $15.55 million to $4.15 million.
- You can view the full Arbor Realty Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for NATURAL RESOURCE PARTNERS LP is currently very high, coming in at 93.43%. Regardless of NRP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NRP's net profit margin of 52.03% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, NATURAL RESOURCE PARTNERS LP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- NRP, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 12.9%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.75 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Regardless of the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, NRP has managed to keep a strong quick ratio of 1.70, which demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $79.74 million or 3.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow NATURAL RESOURCE PARTNERS LP is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -15.85%.
- You can view the full Natural Resources Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $14.61 million or 41.52% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, MID-CON ENERGY PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -15.85%.
- The gross profit margin for MID-CON ENERGY PARTNERS -LP is currently very high, coming in at 72.80%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MCEP's net profit margin of 46.26% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- MID-CON ENERGY PARTNERS -LP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MID-CON ENERGY PARTNERS -LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.63 versus $0.51 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.07 versus $1.63).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $22.43 million to $10.54 million.
- You can view the full Mid-Con Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.